Teaching teenagers

Teaching teenagers

by Rachel Cook -
Number of replies: 9

Use this forum thread to share your experiences of teaching teenagers.  

We expect everyone to abide by ABRSM's Netiquette Policy (etiquette on the Net).  Feel free to discuss repertoire, technique, troubleshoot  teaching concerns or share positive news. 

In reply to Rachel Cook

Re: Teaching teenagers

by Cole Bendall -
Afternoon, everyone!

How many of us are in the position where we are teaching adolescents through vocal change right now? What tools do you use to help motivate those whose voice is changing and who maybe feel that they are not coping in the way they once did with musical material?
In reply to Rachel Cook

by Zoë Booth -
Hi there! When working in a school, the pupils can't miss the same academic lesson too often to attend their instrumental lesson with me (which is a school rule); has anyone got any good tips for rotating when you only have a few pupils? I find it challenging to find time to come in on different days and keep track of what they've missed, especially when one (a sixth former) has to have their lesson outside of teaching hours, tying me to certain sections of the day. Other than increasing the number of pupils, any ideas? Does anyone else also have this?
In reply to Zoë Booth

by Kate Andrews -
Hi Zoe, yes - I have *absolutely* had this. I doubt I have many tricks you haven't already tried, but I always aim to plan in half term blocks, so I can make sure the rotation works and I don't back myself into a scheduling corner later on. Also, identifying all potential slots for the pupil who is most challenging to timetable - e.g. can they come before school, during lunch, after school? - and making sure their lesson times work first, then building the others around them. Of course, in a school situation there are always adjustments to be made as we work through the term, but starting with a solid plan really helps (and supports my sanity...)
In reply to Kate Andrews

by Rachel Emmerson -
I have a notebook with a list of my students at school and every week write down what they have missed. It’s quite complicated as they have a week A and B timetable but it does mean I can look when I make my timetable at what they have missed for the last 3 weeks. I put up the next week’s timetable when I leave and I also e mail pupils as to their lesson time. I have two days when I can come in which helps but I have a fixed time student at the beginning and end of one day so am tied to coming in that day. Does your 6th former not have free periods? I usually manage to use those which helps. Teaching in schools is very challenging . I spend a lot of time fetching students even though they should know when their lesson is. And I carry copies of most pieces as music frequently gets left at home. But I feel lucky to be able to teach in the daytime so have been going to one school for over 20 years and the problems have always been the same!
In reply to Rachel Emmerson

by Cole Bendall -
All advice very much appreciated. The schools I'm working in force a rotation and half-term blocks are my standard approach (agree completely Kate that it helps to avoid corners in due course). Exploit ALL free time including free periods, lunch breaks, before/after school if your schedule allows. That said, there will always be clashes with trips, exams, etc. and so if I've made best effort to avoid multiple instances in one lesson, I don't fret too much beyond this.

And Rachel - iPad, forScore and an overhead scanner have been the greatest investments I've ever made to avoid having to take a suitcase of music and overstuffed backpack of music in every day!
In reply to Cole Bendall

by Zoë Booth -
Thanks for all these suggestions, this is really great - it's also lovely to know others are in the same situation!
In reply to Rachel Cook

by Hilary Smethurst-Evans -
I'm starting to think about the new term that's about to start and all of my pupils who have GCSEs and A Levels to take. How do you go about retaining their motivation for music through this difficult time?

I have some who use it as their 'relaxer' and 'go to' between revision sessions compared to others who find it hard to not revise and feel guilty when they do anything else.

I try to take their lead and make sure I have lots of repertoire that we can do depending on what has, or hasn't happened that week. Do you have any ideas or stories about how you help your pupils through this term?
In reply to Hilary Smethurst-Evans

by Zoë Booth -
I can definitely empathise with seeing pupils feel guilty for doing anything other than revising during this time, but I find that the schools and parents are getting better at encouraging a balance these days, with more openness regarding anxiety and welfare in general. I love this expression of "their relaxer" as I've never had a term for this in this situation before, I'm going to adopt this immediately! It chimes with what I've been doing for a while, as I always remind my pupils that they have to be relaxed (in the right places!) to play, and playing usually takes all your focus and concentration, so put both together and playing is such a great way to completely switch off from the academic stuff for a while. I find some of my pupils just love to play old faves during this time, but others absolutely love getting stuck in to technical exercises or learning new music, which makes sense in the context of offering a welcome distraction. Good luck to everyone taking exams this term, and to all the teachers that are supporting them directly or indirectly!
In reply to Zoë Booth

by Monica Smith -
I find it so hard as many pupils stop their lessons at the end of the Spring term (some promising to come back in Sept - some do and some don't). I try everything to help them realise that they can continue and that we can move lessons around their exams etc. but some don't feel they can fit it in. What would you suggest - do you ever have pupils that do this or is it just me?

Their GCSE and A Level exams also sometimes dictate when they can do instrumental exams if that's what they want. I try to never have them in the Summer term so there is no clash, and so sometimes we explore more repertoire and learn from playing duets etc. before taking an exam in the Autumn term. others are desperate to do them at the end of the Spring term which sometimes makes for a 'foot on the gas' couple of terms to complete this in time.