Aural prep for Jazz exams

Aural prep for Jazz exams

by Albert Kurtz -
Number of replies: 1

For Jazz aural exams, each of the CD's only has 1 practice track for each type of aural test.  Where can I find more resources to help my students prepare for this part of the test (he wants to do Jazz tenor sax grade 5).  for the classical practical test he had the excellent Paul Harris resource, but for the jazz exam the content is different.

In reply to Albert Kurtz

Re: Aural prep for Jazz exams

by Rachel Cook -
Hi Albert, I passed your question to one of our Chief Examiners, Mark Armstrong and this is his response. Hope it's useful.

Here are some ideas:

1. Wider listening is really important for hearing the difference between swing, rock or Latin styles. The difference between swung or non-swung quavers should be really clear but if not, check out the difference between e.g. In The Mood and Cantaloupe Island . Allied with this is subdivision exercises while listening or practicing: feeling the off-beats in both straight and swing feels is really important for the clapping test but will also help to hear the difference between the musical styles.

rhythm exercises

2. For practicing the B test there are a wide variety of resources out there on YouTube. This one is about trading 4s which is very similar to the call-and-response test: 3. Lots of material for intervals, e.g. More widely, great to find 1-1 lesson time and use this to focus on the supporting tests, including the aural!