'tonal swelling in the line': alto saxophone

'tonal swelling in the line': alto saxophone

by Anne Quicke -
Number of replies: 1

Hi, I wondered if anyone could help clarify a comment made by an examiner about a grade 5 alto saxophone pupil of mine.  The pupil did very well, and I'm not arguing with the comments, but just felt some clarification would help me give more sensible advice to the pupil.

The comments referred to "swelling of the line" and "tonal swelling of the line", which  from the meaning in both, it was clear that this wasn't positive. (ie not part of a dynamic arc you might want in a phrase).    This is the first time I've heard this particular phrase, (I might be behind the curve here!) and am eager to understand properly what it means.

I'm wondering if it refers to perhaps an uncontrolled dynamic perhaps as result of nerves (a colleague of mine did the accompanying, so I wasn't there).

The pupil normally plays with a nice tone, usually in the quieter end of the spectrum, but sometimes struggles to create effective louder dynamics, so I have had in mind work on using the diaphragm to support the sound over a wider range of dynamics.

In reply to Anne Quicke

Re: 'tonal swelling in the line': alto saxophone

by Zoë Booth -
Hi Anne, this is an interesting query. It would be hard to clarify exactly what was meant without hearing the performance of course, but I would think that you're right and that the use of this phrase in the context you mention refers to a reservation regarding control of tone/sound. From how your pupil normally plays you may already have an idea what this could be, but nerves on the day could have affected your student in a way you've not heard before, so do ask them - and maybe the accompanist too - what they think? in the context of dynamic contouring, a swell could well be positive, as you say; on the other hand, if the change of sound is abrupt, misplaced or results in a loss of consistency of tonal colour, I can well imagine how it might have a less desirable effect on the musical outcome. It's really heartening to hear how you're considering how you can help your student address this feedback in the future, and it sounds like your pupil did very well already - congratulations!