Adult pupils and chatting

Adult pupils and chatting

by Monica Smith -
Number of replies: 4

I have started teaching an adult pupil which is great as they are there because they have decided they want to learn and are passionate about it. But I am finding that there are big differences between teaching them and the planning required compared to  teaching children from scratch.  

Do you have any top tips when it comes to the extra chatting that they want to do? I have already worked out that I need a pupil after them so it nicely (I hope) curtails the chat and keeps it within their lesson time.  And I know I now have to leave extra explanation time as they will ask (rightly so) about new techniques or concepts - far more than children do .

I am new to this area of teaching so if anyone has been teaching adults for a while - any instrument it would be great to hear the differences you find, what works really well etc.

In reply to Monica Smith

Re: Adult pupils and chatting

by Gordon Cooper -
I would definitely schedule another lesson directly after them to prevent over-running, but I’d do that anyway for any age of student. Your time is your time after all, and they’re paying for it.
One way to keep the chat to a minimum, is to ‘answer in music’ where possible. Depending on the question asked, see if you can sing, clap, play or pulse the answer. Only use words when you have to!
I even know of a teacher who tried a whole 30 minute lesson without speaking to their student - everything was done with musical prompts and gestures. I totally support that but am not sure if I could get that to work in my own studio!
In reply to Gordon Cooper

by Monica Smith -
Thanks Gordon. I have got a lesson after them and that is working well as I ask the pupil to come in quietly and start setting up. This means we are both very aware of the time and that the lesson will be over soon. It's either that or everyone gets their clarinets out in the corridor so everyone is ready to start their lesson on time and we get the full use of the time available.

I like the idea of a completely musical lesson - I have been trying this and its a great idea. It gives more opportunity for music and you don't get bogged down with long explanations. I have not managed a full lesson, but just thinking about it helps the lesson stay focused and on track. Thanks for suggestion
In reply to Monica Smith

by Kate Andrews -
Hi Monica,

I'm a bit late to the party here - apologies! - but I would also start talking about the ending around 2/3 to 3/4 of the way through the lesson. i.e. "We've got about 10 minutes left now - what I suggest we do with that time is X, but is there something you would prefer to do?" You don't need to explain why you're finishing on time, even if you don't have another pupil straight after, but flag that the end is coming soon!

Wishing you timely lessons...

Kate
In reply to Kate Andrews

by Monica Smith -
I've have started doing this Kate - thanks for suggesting it. That short phrase/sentence means that we both know that this is the last thing. I experimented with your idea and I am leaving it until slightly later in the lesson and giving a clear - 'let's play through this to finish' kind of thing (but with your 2/3 or 3/4 idea in my mind, so the times work).

I have also moved my clock so its easily visible to all from the music stand. Thanks for your help